With summer on our doorstep, it’s time to think about how you can efficiently cool your home and keep your energy bills in check. Lounging in a chilly living room sounds great, but unless you don’t mind your utility bills going through the roof, you need to consider ways to save on your AC energy consumption.
Since your air conditioner needs to be in great shape for you to be able to save on your bills, you should rely on the finest AC repair in San Diego to ensure your unit works smoothly. Not only that, but Action AC will also provide you with all the information you might need to ensure maximum energy efficiency. Read on!
Choose your AC unit carefully
The first step towards saving on your energy bills is finding a suitable air conditioner. Which AC option you will choose will depend on the design and conditions of your home.
Find the right cooling option for your needs
Choosing the perfect AC unit for your home can be tricky. You need to pick the size that is best for your living situation. If your home is well shaded and insulated, a smaller model should do the trick and keep your bills in check.
However, a unit that is too small will not cool your home well enough, causing you to keep it on much more often than is necessary. This is also the case with ductless systems since they can be quite costly if you install one in every room.
Pay attention to energy efficiency
Many homeowners purchase units which are too large, hoping that they will do a better job cooling their space, but don’t take into account their energy rating. Regardless of the unit’s size, the higher efficiency rating your AC has, the lower your energy consumption will be. Look for super-efficient Energy Star certified models or use our brand guide to find the best AC for your home.
Be smart about using your AC
Once you have an efficient AC system, you should learn how to use it wisely to ensure maximum energy savings. Here are some tips:
- While your unit is on, close all doors and windows and draw the curtains during the summer months to make your home easier to cool.
- Mind the difference between the outdoor and indoor temperatures. Your AC tends to be less efficient if the difference is higher than 20°F. During summer, keep your thermostat at around 78ºF and turn it down to 68°F during the winter days.
- Utilize your unit’s economy and sleep modes to maintain the right temperatures for different conditions and reduce your energy consumption.
- Use a programmable thermostat to match your temperature settings with your schedule. Set higher temperatures while you’re away during the summer to make cooling your house easier when you return.
Clean the filters and have the unit serviced regularly
Keeping your unit in good shape is essential if you want to save money on your air conditioning. Maintain your unit regularly to ensure optimal performance and efficiency. Here’s what you should do:
- Clean the filters: clogged filters reduce your unit’s efficiency and cause higher energy consumption. Make sure to clean the dust and grime every couple of months.
- Dust the vents: if you want your AC to work well, you need to dust the exterior components and vents regularly.
- Hire professional maintenance: while you should do the basic maintenance tasks yourself, it’s best that you hire AC experts to clean your ductwork, measure the airflow, change the filters and check your compressor’s efficiency.
- Have the unit serviced: if you suspect any issues that might be slowing down your AC, have the unit checked and serviced if necessary
Rely on exceptional AC repair San Diego residents love
The summer heat and your energy bills won’t stress you out at all if you know how to choose and operate your AC unit wisely. There won’t be any need for you to cool off at Black’s Beach since your home will be nice and chilly without you spending exorbitant amounts of money.
When you live in Cali, there’s nothing worse than your AC breaking down in the middle of summer. Fortunately, you can count on the seasoned technicians at Action AC to swiftly and efficiently take care of any issues you might have with your unit. Call us today!