The impact methane leaks have on the atmosphere is catastrophic – and the US just experienced the worst leak in its history. The natural gas leak that occurred in Aliso Canyon, Los Angeles caused damage to the climate that was even worse than the BP oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico in 2010. On October 23, 2015, the leak was discovered from one of the 115 wells connected to SoCal Gas Company’s massive underground natural gas storage system. The gas storage system is the largest in the Western US, and the leak persisted after the first 7 attempts to seal it. The leak was permanently sealed on February 18th, 2016.
Methane is one of the strongest pollutants and has 84 times the global warming power of carbon dioxide.
- The leak has released 150 million pounds (72,000 metric tons) of methane into the environment, according to the Environmental Defense Fund.
- Enough methane poured into the air every day to fill a balloon the size of the Rose Bowl.
- The leak led to more than 11,000 nearby residents being evacuated.
- The environmental impact is equivalent to the annual greenhouse gas emissions from over half a million passenger cars.
- Two Los Angeles Unified School District schools have closed in response to the methane leak.
- 8,156,400 metric tons of carbon dioxide released
- 917,790,000 gallons of gasoline burned
- $19,193,700 dollars worth of natural gas wasted
Solar power does not expel toxins into our environment and combats the greenhouse gas buildup. Not only can solar save the environment from global warming, it is the reliable and endless resource that has fueled the existence of life since the beginning of time. In a single day the amount of sunlight that hits the United States is more than 2,500 times the entire country’s daily energy usage. Yet, solar photovoltaic panels produce less than two percent of the national electricity.
Using clean renewable energy to power our homes, businesses, and cars would eradicate the demand for methane. Becoming apart of the solar movement, using clean energy, and pushing legislation to cut methane uses are some of the immediate solutions to prevent methane environmental disasters and reduce the rate of climate change.
Become a part of the solar movement and start saving the environment and your energy costs today!
Call to get your Action Air Solar System installed in your home or business – our professionals are guaranteed to provide quality installation, professionalism, and efficient service.
GET YOUR FREE SOLAR QUOTE Resource Environmental Defense Fund edf.org