Although solar power is actually a relatively simple form of energy production, there are a lot of misconceptions, myths, and flat-out lies about this energy source readily available across the internet. We are here to set the record straight. Read our frequently asked questions below to learn more about common misconceptions people have about solar.
When I install solar energy, I’ll still have power when the power goes out, right?
This is probably the most common question we receive. Sadly, the answer is NO, you will NOT have power when the power goes out; at least not with a grid-tied solar energy system. The reason for this is because your system by law must shut down when it is not receiving any power from the grid. If your solar energy system is producing energy and sending electricity into wires that utility workers think are dead, they can be electrocuted while trying to repair the power lines.
But there is good news. This answer doesn’t have to be true for all grid-tied systems anymore! SMA America has recently launched a new line of inverters, the SMA 3000TL, SMA 4000TL, and SMA 5000TL Sunny Boy Inverters that allow for emergency power.
This electricity is designed for emergency purposes only and it will ONLY work when the sun is up. These inverters have no storage capabilities.
This product is brand new to the solar market and not carried by many solar energy companies. Contact us today to learn more about this revolutionary new product!
Who Makes the Best Solar Panel?
There are a lot of things that go into determining the best product and they vary for every consumer. Some consumers want the longest warranty, some want made in America, while others look for efficiency ratings, or other unique features. The reality is, there are a lot of great panels out there to choose from.
The key is to know what you are looking for when you are choosing a panel. Keep these four things in mind when you are shopping for solar panels:
- Warranty – the industry standard is 25 to 30 years, but you must also take into consideration the financial standing of the company that produces the panel. That 25 year warranty means nothing if the manufacturer is out of business five years from now. All panels we offer give consumers an exceptional warranty from companies with solid financials and a great history of customer service.
- Productivity – we offer only top tier solar modules with some of the highest efficiencies available.
- Price – solar panels are more affordable today than they ever have been before. Visit the State of California’s Solar page, www.gosolarcalifornia.org, to see the average price for a solar PV installation. Beginning to end, permit to final inspection.
- Aesthetics – The first consideration you should have is to always to get the most productive system at the best price, maximizing your systems ROI. For many homeowners, however, we realize the aesthetics of their roof are important. For this reason we offer black on black panels as well as the blue on silver panels. Your choice will affect production and the price.
Can Solar Be Installed on a Tile Roof?
Should I lease or buy solar panels?
Solar leasing sounds great, right? Little or not money down, no maintenance expenses, and you save tons of money on your energy bill, right? Sort of.
Leasing generally DOES require little to no money down, but energy savings are sometimes not as much as you are led to believe. There are often escalators, raising the cost of your electricity bills every year.
Another drawback to leasing is that many leasing companies are so backed up that it can take 7 to 9 months to even have a system installed! Here are the reasons why BUYING your solar energy system is a smarter investment:
- Excellent solar financing options are available to make your system affordable.
- You can receive a 30 percent tax credit (if you lease a system, the leasing company gets this)
- Your home’s value will increase
- If you sell your home, it is likely to sell faster
- Your ROI is much better
- You get to choose the equipment that you want
- You save far more money