A furnace breaking down in the middle of winter is a considerable inconvenience, no matter how you look at it. If you’ve found yourself in this unlucky scenario, you’re probably unsure how to approach the issue safely and efficiently.
Luckily, your go-to heating repair service in Temecula is here to make sure your furnace stays in great shape during the coldest months of the year. Read on to learn what to do if your furnace won’t turn on!
What do you do when your furnace won’t turn on?
When faced with a furnace that won’t turn on, there are a couple of checks you should make first in order to see if the issue will require professional help. Here’s what you should do:
- Check the thermostat. Your thermostat may be set on the wrong setting or was reset due to a power outage. Make sure the thermostat is set to heat and set it to a temperature 10 degrees warmer than the room temperature and see if the furnace turns back on.
- Check the breakers. Your furnace might not be turning on because of a tripped breaker. Find your breaker panel and flip your HVAC breaker off and then back on to see if that fixes the issue.
- Check the gas supply. Your furnace may not be turning on due to a lack of fuel. Try turning on another gas device, such as the stove. If it doesn’t turn on either, contact your gas provider.
Can a bad thermostat cause furnace not to work?
Troubleshooting your thermostat should be one of the first steps to take if your furnace won’t turn on. Perform the following checks if you suspect the thermostat may be the culprit.
Check the settings
A thermostat that is set to a lower temperature will stop the furnace from working. Try raising the setting and see if the system powers on.
Change the batteries
Sometimes, fixing your furnace issue can be as simple as replacing the batteries of your thermostat. Use batteries suitable for your thermostat model and see if the problem is gone.
Clean the thermostat
A dusty thermostat can cause inaccurate temperature readings and a number of other issues with your furnace. Open the thermostat carefully and use a soft brush to get rid of dust.
Check the level
Your thermostat should be perfectly level in order to work properly. Use a level device to make sure the thermostat is completely straight.
How do you troubleshoot a furnace?
If you’ve determined that the thermostat isn’t the cause of your furnace malfunction, try these troubleshooting tips:
- Check the furnace switch. Someone may have accidentally turned off the power switch of your furnace. Try flipping it back on to check if that’s the case.
- Check the air filter. If you haven’t cleaned your filter in a while, it’s possible that dirt and dust build-up has engaged a safety feature that prevents the furnace from turning on. Clean the filter and see if that helps.
- Check the pilot light. Gas furnaces have a pilot light that goes out if there is a risk of gas leaking into your home. If the light is out, reset your furnace or call HVAC professionals to determine the exact cause.
We’re your go-to heating repair service in Temecula
A well-functioning heating and cooling system is a must if you want to stay comfortable in your Temecula home all year round. That’s why having a dependable HVAC service at your beck and call is essential.
Luckily, you won’t have to think too hard about which heating service to choose if your furnace has broken down. Simply reach out to Action AC and leave your furnace troubles to us! Once we’ve ensured your heating system is in tip-top shape, you’ll be able to take a well-deserved break to visit the Temecula History Museum. Reach out to us today!