With the coming of spring weather, homeowners start to rely less and less on their heating systems, eagerly waiting for warmer summer months. But how do you use your cooling system in spring, when it’s not too cold or too hot? How do you prepare your AC after winter, and make sure it can cool down your home to an enjoyable temperature?
In this article, the leading specialists for air conditioning repair in Moreno Valley share useful tips for using your AC properly during the spring. Keep on reading to find out how to ensure optimal comfort in your home and make sure your AC is in peak condition for the summer.
When should I turn my AC on in the spring?
Many homeowners are tempted to wait until the weather gets really hot to turn on their air conditioners in order to save money. However, this may not be a good idea, as you won’t be able to detect if your system is working properly or fix any problems before the cooling season. If you do discover an issue with your AC just before the summer, you’ll have a more difficult time finding a repair appointment, as everyone will want to fix up their cooling systems during that time. Experts recommend having your AC diagnosed and repaired if necessary as soon as temperatures reach about 70 degrees, when you won’t need your unit as much as you would on a 90-degree day.
How do you clean an air conditioner in spring?
Before you switch on your AC for the first time after the winter months, it’s important to make sure that both its outdoor and indoor components are clean. Here are some guidelines for spring AC cleaning:
- Clean or replace your filters to ensure adequate airflow
- Remove any AC covers to prevent overheating
- Clean up dirt and debris around your outdoor unit
- Clean the coils and the condensate drain
- Use a hose to gently spray the outdoor unit
Cleaning your air conditioner in the spring will help you rule out cleanliness issues as a contributing factor if your AC turns out not to be working properly. While you may be able to perform most of these cleaning tasks yourself, it’s worth hiring professionals for a spring tune-up if you want to make 100% sure that your unit is in top condition when you need it the most.
What should my AC be set to in spring?
How high or low you adjust your AC thermostat in the spring will depend on the average temperatures during that time of the year in your location. In more inland cities like Fallbrook, Ramona, or Moreno Valley, the springtime can get significantly hot, often rising above 80 degrees. In general, however, experts recommend keeping the temperature levels at about 75 degrees during the spring if you want to keep your home comfortable. Keeping it at 75 degrees provides a comfortable indoor temperature, without the risk of overworking your AC unit.
If the spring is particularly warm, you can also follow the tips when adjusting your thermostat:
- Your body is unlikely to notice the difference if you raise the set temperature by a degree or two. However, your energy bills are more than likely to reflect it by the end of the month, so keep that in mind.
- Purchasing a programmable thermostat is a great way to save money during the cooling season. Program your thermostat to raise the temperature by about 10 degrees while you’re away, but make sure not to raise it too high if you live with pets or own heat-sensitive electronics. Don’t forget to program the thermostat to start lowering the temps an hour before you return home.
- You can help your thermostat by setting the fans to work counterclockwise during warm weather. This can create a downward air vortex that uses wind chill to cool down your space.
How do I check the performance of my air conditioner?
Evaluating the total performance of your air conditioner requires an experienced HVAC technician and specific tools. While it is definitely a wise idea to check your ACs efficiency every once in a while, the only way to comprehensively test your unit is to have it looked at by a licensed HVAC technician.
In general, a working air conditioner should release air at least 15 degrees cooler than the air outside. If you notice your unit cannot perform this standard sufficiently, try the following steps before you reach out to experts:
- Assess the problem. What is exactly going on with the unit? Is the air circulating but isn’t cold? Is the fan running?
- If the unit isn’t running, check circuit breakers, fuses, and plugs
- Evaluate your thermostat settings and adjust as needed
- Check the filter and coils and clean them to make sure the dirt isn’t contributing to the issue
If none of these steps fix the problem, it is time to contact your HVAC technicians of choice to perform assessments and restore your AC to proper functioning. Just make sure not to wait for too long and risk paying more for repairs during the summer when you need your air conditioner the most.
Top-rated air conditioning repair company now serving Moreno Valley and surrounding areas
Are you looking for experienced HVAC pros to get your air conditioner ready for the hotter seasons? Look no further than Action Air Conditioning & Heating Installation. We’re your top choice for AC installation, repair, and maintenance in Moreno Valley, whether you live near Lake Perris or anywhere else in the South Riverside area. Our team consists of qualified, dedicated, and licensed technicians who always keep your best interest in mind.
It is our mission to ensure your optimal comfort all year round with industry expertise-based ventilation, heating and cooling services. You can count on us to use only the best equipment and industry-leading techniques to inspect, service, and repair your cooling system to ensure it’s ready for the summer. Contact us and let us help out today.