With the sizzling Califonia summer upon us, it’s paramount that you keep your AC unit in peak condition. But what if you notice your AC isn’t cooling your home as well as it used to, just before the summer months? What could be causing your AC unit to break down? Why did my AC stop working? We have the answers.
Unfortunately, the number of people experiencing air conditioning problems often skyrockets just as the hottest months of the year are upon us. If you happen to be one of them, you’re in luck! Rely on the finest air conditioner repair in Temecula, CA to take care of any AC issues you might have and inform you about the most common causes of AC failure. Read on.
Why did my AC stop working?
Luckily, the majority of common AC issues can be fixed if you have your unit serviced as soon as possible. Don’t wait to have your unit checked only when you notice something’s wrong. If you are already in this unfortunate situation, you probably want to know why your AC is not up to the task.
One of the most common reasons for reduced air conditioner efficiency are clogged filters. If you have a central AC unit, make sure to clean or replace your filters at least once a month to keep the system running smoothly. If your filters are dirty, your AC won’t be able to cool your home effectively. This might cause your evaporator coil to freeze up.
The performance of your AC is optimal when your refrigerant charge is neither undercharged nor overcharged but is in line with the manufacturer’s specifications. If you notice your unit isn’t cooling properly, you might be low on refrigerant. Another problem could be you are dealing with a leak. In this case, hire a qualified technician to check your AC system’s refrigerant level and fix possible leaks.
Clogged outside unit
If your condenser is dirty or blocked by debris or plants, your unit will have difficulty absorbing heat. The heat is aborbed from the air in your home and transferred to the outside unit. Debris forces your AC unit to work much harder to cool your home. This puts additional strain on the system and may result in higher energy bills.
What can cause your AC to stop working?
None of the already mentioned issues seem to be the reason your unit is malfunctioning? What else could be causing your unit to fail? Here are some additional causes of AC failure you might not have thought to check:
- Ventilation issues: if one of your unit’s fans isn’t working properly, a likely result is poor airflow and reduced efficiency. Make sure to check your fans to avoid this relatively small issue leading to compressor failure.
- Frozen evaporator coils: the evaporator coil is designed to absorb heat from the air. If it freezes, usually because of low refrigerant charge or dirty coils, your unit is likely to break down.
- Thermostat problems: if your thermostat is old, your unit might not be getting the right commands from the control system. In case of a modern programmable thermostat, your settings might be incorrect. Check the settings or replace your old thermostat to fix the issue.
- Ductwork leaks: central AC systems have ductwork installed in the walls to transfer the cooled air throughout your home. In case these ducts are damaged, your cooled air might leak inside your walls, causing your unit to work less efficiently.
How do you fix common AC problems?
We recommend you refrain from fixing any AC issues yourself. We will show you how to properly maintain your unit. This will avoid more serious problems. Here’s how you can prevent some of the most common causes of AC failure:
- Maintain your unit regularly: the majority of less serious air conditioner issues can be prevented with proper maintenance. Have your unit serviced regularly by trained HVAC technicians.
- Clean the outdoor unit: in order to prevent fan or evaporator coil failures, make sure to clear any leaves, trash or other kinds of debris from your outdoor unit.
- Get a programmable thermostat: if you want to save energy and avoid older thermostat issues, buy a programmable thermostat and learn how to use it properly.
- Have the ductwork checked: if you receive a higher than usual energy bill, have an expert check your ductwork for any holes or other signs of damage.
Exceptional air conditioner repair Temecula, CA residents rely on
Nobody wants to worry about their air conditioner breaking down during the hottest months of the year. To avoid this worst-case scenario, it’s essential that you look out for any signs of failure and keep your AC unit in proper shape with regular maintenance.
Unless you want to make Lake Skinner your home for the summer, make sure to have your unit serviced regularly by HVAC experts. Luckily, there are seasoned and highly qualified technicians at Action AC who will gladly keep your unit working optimally all year long. Do you still need the answer to “Why did my ac stop working?” Reach out to us today!