The day when delightful indoor comfort became an essential component of your everyday home life was a wonderful day indeed. From that moment on, you were dreading the moment when your AC would break down and you’d become deprived of its powerful cooling effect. Why did my AC stop working?
Before you go off in search of a competent provider of air conditioning repair in Temecula, it might be time to check out some of the common culprits. This is no guarantee you’ll manage to troubleshoot your AC issues all by yourself but it will give you some helpful insight.
How do I know if my AC compressor is bad?
Because replacing the compressor on your AC could be costly, impossible even, you have to first figure out whether there’s reason to suspect it to be the cause of the problem.
To find out, take the following steps:
- Check the compressor fan air by putting your hand in front of it. The air coming from the fan should be hot because the compressor’s main purpose is to compress gas and prevent the unit from overheating. This results in heat. If, on the other hand, the air is cool or only lukewarm, the compressor could be bad or worn.
- Check your utility bill from time to time and compare it to your bill from the same period the previous year. An inefficient compressor causes the AC to become inefficient and run longer. The result is a high electricity consumption.
- Watch out for any strange noises. If the compressor, located in the outdoor unit, is no longer running smoothly, you could hear sounds like hissing or knocking. This could signal a problem with the compressor motor or a refrigerant leak.
Why would an AC compressor stop working?
To understand this, first you have to understand how an AC compressor works. An AC compressor, just like any other compressor or, for that matter, pump, forces the volume of a gas to decrease by increasing pressure on it. In the case of an AC, this gas (originally fluid) is called the refrigerant. Refrigerant is a substance that is used in the refrigeration cycle. Without it, the AC compressor and, by extension, the AC cannot function.
There are various possible causes of this:
- Dirty coils
- Presence of contaminants in the system
- Blocked suction lines
- Inadequate suction line size
- Low refrigerant charge
- Too much refrigerant
- Inadequate oil lubricant level
- Electrical failure
Will a dirty filter keep AC from cooling?
As any experienced HVAC technician in Temecula is bound to tell you: seemingly insignificant issues could eventually lead to major ones. In other words, a dirty filter will diminish the efficiency of your AC.
Precautionary measures such as keeping the filter clean and replacing it or having it replaced from time to time are your best course of action. Regular maintenance spares you the cost and the hassle of fixing problems once they escalate.
Premium quality air conditioning repair in Temecula
Here at Action AC, we have the experience and competence to tackle any AC-related issues. If your AC system is beyond repair, we will promptly advise you on your best course of action.
What’s more, putting us in charge of your AC’s preventive maintenance will secure you peace of mind. Not only will we take all the necessary steps to keep your AC up and running for a long stretch of time, but even handle the schedule. Let us be your go-to HVAC contractor in Temecula!